Thursday, January 1, 2015

Salt Dough Ornaments

I decided to try the salt dough ornaments this year. I've seen them all over Pinterest and figured we would give it a try. I LOVE how they turned out! Here's what you need to do if you want to give it a try. 

All you need is:
1/2 c Salt
1/2 c Plain Flour
1/4 c Water


To make things easier you'll also need:
A Rolling Pin
Knife
Paint
Sealer (i.e. Mod Podge)
Paint Brushes
Straw
Parchment Paper 
Cookie Sheet (to bake them or 
you can let them air dry)

It's really super easy. 
If you decide you want to bake them to help them harden faster you need to preheat your oven at 200 degrees.  Again you can always air dry them. Personally I bakes mine most of the way and then they air dried while hanging on my tree. 

After getting your oven ready you need to take the Salt, Flour, and Water and combine them in a bowl. Mix and knead everything until it has a dough-like consistency. I had to play a little with the ingredients to get the right consistency. 


When you've got it roll it out. Throw down some flour to keep it from sticking. Roll out the dough to about a 1/4" thickness. You don't want it too thin because it won't hold up. Then take your kiddos hands and make some prints. I also did a foot one for Levi. After their prints are made take knife and cut around the edges of them. (I did this 4 times in total for this part)

Use the straw to make a little hole in the top to place the ribbon later. Put each ornament on the parchment paper on top of the cookie sheet. Place in the oven. I didn't find a specific length of time to leave it in there, so I did 30 min and then air dried the rest of the way. 

After they are done baking you can paint them however you want. I made the hands Santa's and the foot a Snowman. 

That's it! Pretty neat, huh? 

I did have left over dough and decided to make little ornaments for the family also. 

You can do this or use cookie cutters and make whatever. 

Have fun!! We did. :)




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment