Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Haiti Mission Trip

Our church has been going to Haiti to work with Restore Haiti ever since the major earthquake wrecked havoc there. Last year David made the commitment and went with our team from church. He had the most amazing experience. He was so adamant that he wanted to go back and wanted me to go too. I was on the fence because 1)It's not cheap 2)Leaving my kids for that long terrified me and 3) I was honestly kind of scared about leaving the country. Around August, however, I decided to commit to going and we started working on everything to make that happen. 

I can say now that although I missed my kids like crazy I am so glad I went! Not only was meeting the people there and seeing the beautiful land amazing, but feeling God through out this place was beyond words. These people may not have much but that doesn't stop them or slow them down. It's literally a different world there, but feeling God work makes it feel like home. I just felt closer to him there and through these people. 

The days are long, the nights, are short, you don't have hot water, you can't drink their water, and there is trash thrown out in the streets everywhere. These things still don't take away from the beauty of this place or it's people. 

We were there to get things done though. We not only spread the word of God and his love by speaking we took action. We helped in the feeding program Restoration Ministries provides through donations from sponsors. (David and I sponsor two children there now. We have been sponsoring 1 & a special situation arose while we were there so we started sponsoring another) They feed hundreds of children a day there now and these donations also help these children go to school, have all their supplies, and medical necessities. It's really an amazing program. If you would like to learn more you can email me or go HERE

Sorry, I got sidetracked. Back to the things we did. We also helped with a house they were building. We sanded the walls and put on the first coat of paint. (It's a lot harder than it sounds) We visited a couple of hospitals and prayed with the patients. We visited a school and gave the teachers some gifts. We visited a little mountain village and passed out 800lbs of rice and beans. We also prayed with these families.  All of this was done in Jacmel, Haiti. Toward the end of the trip we went to a new area Restore Haiti is helping with now in Carrefour. We helped with their feeding program and taught a proper hygiene and wound care class. 

We also took some "fun" times. We spent one half of a day at the beach and we had a nice dinner with staff and our team at a hotel restaurant. Those were nice little outings. 

This trip was absolutely amazing and I am so thankful that I got to go. I may not be able to go back for awhile but the country and the people of Haiti will forever have a piece of my heart. 

Here are some pictures from our trip <3
 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment