December 23, 2015 was one of the scariest nights of my life.
David and I had stayed up a little later than usual because it was storming outside and we just couldn't sleep. We finally decided to try to lay down around 11pm. As soon as we went to our room to lay down to sleep a huge bolt of lighting hit our house or yard or something between the two. Our whole house shook and things were knocked off the walls. Needless to say, it scared us to death. We immediatly jumped up and when I did I smelled smoke.
Panic set in as we got the kids up and ran them out the door to the car (of course it's pouring rain at this point). I drive two houses down to my mom's house. I take the kids in the house and got them laid back down in their beds there. I then went back to mom's door and looked out to my house to see if I could see anything.
It didn't take long before I saw flames. I grabbed my phone and called David, who had stayed at our house, and told him there were flames at the back of the house (you couldn't tell exactly where at this point). Turns out it was the building in our backyard. We called 911 and the fire department was able to get there pretty quickly (at the time it felt like FOREVER though). They made quick work of it and prevented the fire from spreading.
In the end we lost a lot of Haleigh's baby stuff, all of our stuff from high school, a kerosene heater (our heat for the winter), and some other sentimental things we had stored in the building. The Lightning killed all of our tv's and the kid's Xbox. Loosing those things suck, especialy the sentimental things but I am so thankful God had his hand over us. We could have lost so much more that night but we were able to walk away with a roof over our heads and most importantly our lives.
It still boggles our minds that out of all the things the lightening could have hit it hit a plastic building at the bottom of a hill.